Swansea Bay is a place of impressive contrasts: City and country; historic and contemporary; grand parklands, and pounding surf.
Swansea, Wales' city by the sea, has Viking roots and a long, eventful history. Home to innovative attractions and renowned for its awesome nightlife, it's a vibrant cultural centre, and a regional shopping hub. It is the perfect location to start your trip into the many beautiful areas of Wales, central & southern England, or to travel onwards towards Europe. London is just over 3 hours motorway driving away.
Just a stone's throw away, the charismatic seaside village of Mumbles offers galleries and boutiques, snug cafes and fine dining.
The Gower Peninsula extends west of Mumbles, in mile after mile of unspoilt coastal panoramas, award-winning golden beaches, and lush, rolling countryside.
Afan & the Vale of Neath
On the eastern edge of Swansea Bay, there's the Waterfall Country of Afan and the Vale of Neath: a must-see for walkers and cyclists alike. These steep-sided, wooded valleys are home to world-class mountain-biking, stately country parks, and the UK's second-largest forest south of the Scottish border.
For more information www.visitswanseabay.com
We welcome groups, individuals, families and friends. Just find out more, there’s a lot to see and do:
- Sample Swansea’s city centre shops or savour the delights of a spa weekend.
- Mooch around Mumbles. Marvel at café bars, bistros, trendy boutiques and galleries… or parade along the Pier, open since 1898
- Explore the Gower Peninsula, the first UK landscape to be designated an area of outstanding Natural Beauty.
- Enjoy one of 50 beaches from rock-pooling at Rhossili to sandcastles at Caswell
- Fantastic fun awaits all the family at the LC. Taste the adventure of the 30ft climbing wall, or the indoor waterpark with slides and rides plus the Boardrider surf experience.
- For outdoor adventure there’s sailing, surfing, skydiving or specialist survival skills to name just a few. Alternatively cycle or walk around the beautiful Gower coast.
- Sports enthusiasts can enjoy first class rugby at the Ospreys or a flutter on the horses at the new Ffos Las course. Or if you’re feeling energetic we have a host of fun runs, road races and triathlons ready to be entered.
- Driven by Golf? We’ve eight courses to choose from including Morriston, a favourite of local girl Catherine Zeta Jones.
- Dig into the past at Wales’ oldest and newest museums or visit the Dylan Thomas centre, home to the largest collection of our poets’ memorabilia.
And after all that exploring, let us entertain you with even more exciting options. Cosy pubs and bistros, fun packed bars, a ‘Grand’ theatre and glamorous casino plus top class restaurants serving exquisite dishes – you choose the choice is yours.
From Ireland, taking the ferry to South Wales is easy, whether for a fun packed weekend or longer holiday.
As part of the City and County of Swansea, we provide comprehensive tourist and visitor information, including where to stay, what to see, what to do, and how to get around Swansea Bay, Mumbles and Gower visitswanseabay.com